Thursday, May 2, 2013

Aemilia Ars Rose Needle Lace Insert in Piecework



As I hinted a few posts ago, there is an Aemilia Ars needle lace insert in the May/June 2013 issue of Piecework magazine by the Associazione "I Merletti di Antonilla Cantelli".

The project includes step by step photos which had to be rather small in the magazine due to space constrictions but if you have a magnifying glass handy, they are valuable source of reference when executing the lace.

I had a reader write to ask me if the lace was indeed stitched to the size of the pattern in the magazine and the answer is yes! It is an exquisitely delicate little piece:


I had another reader write to ask me for more details on how to execute the "gruppetti" picots which are placed at the intersection of two overcast bars. As I am only a beginner when it comes to executing this lace, I can't pretend that my "gruppetti" are anything to show off but the ladies of the Associazione "I Merletti di Antonilla Cantelli" assure me that practise, much practise improves them. I know that's not a magic answer but it's all I have for you. These ladies have been doing this lace for many, many years to achieve the high level of expertise in their lace, don't be too hard on yourself if yours doesn't look the same, but don't give up either!

If you're fortunate enough to be going to the Italia Invita Forum in Parma in May this year, stop by and see the ladies at their booth, you can catch their latest book or better yet, take their mini-courses!



I hope you enjoy the article in Piecework, somehow the photos never do justice to what is the most amazing piece of needle lace I've ever been close to. 


3 comments:

  1. I looked at a couple stores earlier today, and the new issue is not on the shelf. Will try again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, their website says it's available on news stands April 18th. I hope it will be near to you soon! They now have digital delivery if you want to download it to your computer. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave!a Jeanine, all'Associazione "I Merletti di Antonilla Cantelli", a Piecework e a tutte le appassionate di questa tecnica.
    Giovanna molto contenta quando vede dei capolavori ad ago ;o)

    ReplyDelete